September 21, 2017
Good Time of Year For Apple Picking
We love this time of year. It’s all about family, togetherness, wonderful weather, cozy sweaters, mugs of hot tea - and apple picking! Here are some interesting apple facts: There are over 2,500 different types of apples grown in the United States and they are grown in all 50 states! However, the crabapple is the ONLY type of apple that is native to the U.S..
They say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Apples, a member of the rose family of plants, are fat-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free, and a great source of fiber! They’re convenient to store, to pack, and to eat! Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit but, once they do, they’re the gift that keeps on giving; the average lifespan of an apple trees is 100 years!
We’re jumping on the apple bandwagon and are excited to make some delicious homemade recipes this season: applesauce, apple pie, apple fritters, apple tart, apple crisp, apple turnovers, apple cider, baked apples, oh the possibilities are endless!
In order to make your recipe taste great, though, you need to use the best apples. But how do you pick the perfect apple? We’ll tell you….
- Choose firm apples. The firmer the apple, the better the fruit will hold up when you cook it.
- The apples nearest the outside of the tree are the ones that ripen first.
- Don’t just pull on the apple to remove it. Gently twist it off of the tree.
- Once you remove an apple from a tree, they’re done ripening!
Let us leave you with this delicious recipe. Enjoy!
MICROWAVE BAKED APPLES (For the full recipe, click here)
1. Cut off top 1/2 inch from each apple. With melon baller, core through stem ends without breaking through bottom.
2. Place in a glass pie plate; sprinkle with sugar and spices.
3. Cover. Microwave on Medium-High for 8 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Add toppings and Enjoy!
September 21, 2017
Fall Is In The Air
Fall is in the air - and we couldn’t be happier! Fall foods, fall fun; there are so many reasons to fall in love with fall.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Weather / Foliage - The crispness in the air and the colors of the leaves changing - it’s a wonderful sight to see, and feel! Take out your sweaters, mugs of tea, and good books. It’s time to get cozy!
- Holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving - need we say more? Halloween is fun, creative, spooky, and exciting. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to reflect, give thanks, spend time with family and friends, and eat!
- PSL - Pumpkin Spice Latte is, for some people, the reason for the season! Pumpkin here, pumpkin there, pumpkin flavor is literally EVERYWHERE during the fall! It’s a hot debate amongst friends because you either love it, or you don’t! Where does your vote “fall”?
- Apple Picking - Looking to make homemade applesauce or delicious apple pie? Use fresh apples - pick them straight off the tree!
New season, new to-do list:
- Health Checklist - This is the perfect time to schedule appointments with your Internist (for your annual physical), Dentist (for your biannual cleaning), and Opthamologist (to check your vision).
- Fall Cleaning - Much like spring, fall is a great time for a deep clean and thorough purge. Go through your fridge, freezer, and pantry and throw out expired foods. Go through your closet, and your kids’ closets, and take out clothes that are too big, too small, or out-dated. You can also pick through your kids’ toys & books and remove any that aren’t age-appropriate anymore. Then, you can donate EVERYTHING in your “no-go” pile to a worthy cause! It will also make more room in your house for all of the Christmas and Hanukkah gifts that will show up in December!
We want to know: What is YOUR favorite part of fall
September 10, 2017
Ahhh, can you feel it? The hot summer weather is starting to dissipate and the fall weather is very slowly peeking in. With less humidity and cooler weather, it’s the perfect storm - for outdoor activities! One of our favorites is hiking! All you need is a friend (because you should never go alone!), your sneakers, some sunscreen, and water. Never been hiking before? You’re missing out! And let us tell you why….
- It’s Informal & Affordable! You don’t HAVE to go on a designated path - you can just start walking. As long as you’re in a safe area that you’re familiar with, you can hike along a trail, in the woods, along a street, wherever your legs may take you!
- You Can Go At Your Own Pace! Pump those arms and take long, hard strides, or take your time and go slow - enjoying the scenery.
- You Can Do It As A Family! This is probably the most important reason that we love hiking! You can strap the little ones in a carrier on your back, and let the older kids hike along with you. We guarantee this is a family fun event that everyone will want to get involved in.
- You Gain Mental Clarity! There is a reason it is called the “great outdoors” - because it really is great, for the mind, body, and spirit! You (and your family) get away from technology, electronics, and chaos, even just for a short time. This can help you think more clearly, increase your energy level, and elevate your mood. It’s a win-win-win!
- It’s Great Exercise! Hiking, like walking or running, is great for your bones, your muscles, and your heart - plus you’re burning calories!
- It’s Fun! You get to explore new plants and trees. You may see some animals that you weren’t expecting to come into contact with. Tread lightly, though - only touch plants or wildlife if you know what they are. You wouldn’t want to ruin your hike by getting poison ivy!
August 31, 2017
We are swooping in with today’s blog post and we hope your sweet tooth is ready! Whether you’re here with the kids, family members, or friends (old or new!), there comes a time mid-morning, or mid-afternoon, or the evening - heck, it can happen ANY time of day - where you just need a little something sweet! It’s between formal meal times, but you’re having a full-blown snack attack. What do you do? We’re here giving you some ammunition (AKA camping snack ideas) to curb that attack and satisfy your sweet tooth at ANY time of day.
One Ingredient Wonders:
- Marshmallows - You can roast ‘em, toast ‘em, or eat them right out of the bag! However you decide, keep these close by....you’ll need them for some other snack ideas further down our list. ;)
- Fruit - Since they are naturally sweet, fruits are a delicious, easy-to-prepare snack idea. Sliced apples, chunks of pineapple, or a handful of grapes are a very healthy and very tasty dessert option.
- S’mores - Remember those marshmallows from above? Grab them because we’re talking about the #1 camping snack staple. We talk about this one on our blog OFTEN because, well, it’s delicious! This snack is SO versatile, SO easy to prepare, and SO fun to eat!
- Trail Mix - Another versatile option, you can basically throw ANYTHING - such as nuts, dried fruits, or chocolates - into the mix. Use raw nuts and dark chocolate for a healthier option, or ‘go crazy’ with M&M’s, peanut butter chips, honey roasted almonds...the possibilities are endless (and yummy!).
Easy as 1-2-3:
- No-Bake Cookies - (1) Ripe bananas, (2) uncooked oats, and (3) chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, or nuts. You can make a whole boat- RV-load so they’re easily accessible and ready to grab & eat when you’re in the mood!
- Rice Krispies Treats - Grab those marshmallows again! For this recipe, you only need (1) butter, (2) Rice Krispies cereal, and (3) those marshmallows to make this ooey-gooey sweet treat that EVERYONE loves!
Tell us - what is your go-to to satisfy your snack attacks?
August 18, 2017
Beginner Barbecuing Questions
Barbecuing is a simple and delicious way to prepare a variety of meals and side dishes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. When you’re camping, it’s the perfect way to cook - and the easiest way to clean up! But, what if you’ve never fired up the grill before? Have no fear - we’re here with a (BB)Q & A to answer all of your beginner barbecuing questions so you can man (or woman) the grill like a true pro!
Q: How hot should I make the grill?
A: According to Executive chef Erwin Manzano of Morton’s the Steakhouse, you should make sure the grill is as hot as you can get it! A hot grill is what seals in the juice and creates the crust on the outside. If you're using charcoal, make sure they're red hot but not flaring up.
Q: Do I need to clean the grill every time I use it?
A: YES!! Ray Sheehan of Neptune, creator of the BBQ Buddha line of sauces and rubs, says to start out with a good, clean grill! When you use a wire brush, pieces can break off, get stuck on the grill, and then end up in your food. (Not a great seasoning for your steak!) Instead, use aluminum foil, a steam cleaner, or a bamboo grill brush with rustproof brass bristles after every BBQ session.
(source: http://ow.ly/SNaG30eui85, http://ow.ly/L4Qs30eujXb)
Q: Do I need to season my meat before I cook it?
A: That’s completely up to you! You really should consider seasoning or marinating your meat - especially if you’re using lean proteins with little or no fat (aka flavor). A marinade acts as a tenderizer and brings out the meat’s natural flavors before grilling. According to the USDA, you can marinate: poultry for up to two days in the refrigerator, beef for up to 24 hours, and fish for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or, use a dry rub!
(source: http://ow.ly/M4xg30euLOO, http://ow.ly/3MBU30euLQ4)
So, what are you waiting for? Get to grillin’!
August 17, 2017
Solar Eclipse Coming
Monday, August 21, 2017 is a very special day! It’s been 38 years since a total solar eclipse was visible in the United States. And it will be another 7 years until it happens again! While it’s not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime, it will only happen ‘once in a blue moon’ so it’s definitely a big deal! And what better way to experience this celestial event than while camping in the great outdoors? Here are some facts and tips to get your geared up for the 2017 solar eclipse!
So, what is a solar eclipse? When the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, we experience a solar eclipse. For the 2017 solar eclipse, a path, stretching from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina, will experience a TOTAL solar eclipse - where the moon completely covers the sun and there is total darkness (totality). The rest of the country will experience a partial solar eclipse - where the moon covers most, but not all, of the sun’s disk.
Unless you are in the exact location during a moment of totality, you NEVER want to look directly at the sun during a solar eclipse. If you do, you could severely injure your eyes and permanently hurt your vision. You can safely view an eclipse of the sun with direct viewing, using special eclipse glasses/shades, or indirect viewing, where you project an image of the sun onto a screen. Click here for more information on viewing the solar eclipse safely: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety.
So, what can you expect? If only for a few minutes, wherever you are in the United States, the sky will darken - around 9am PDT if you’re on the west coast, around 4pm EDT if you’re on the east coast, or somewhere in between as the shadow of the moon travels from west to east!
Happy Solar Eclipsing, everyone!
Watch live video streams of this awesome event at from locations across the country at https://www. nasa.gov/eclipselive.
Find more information about the 2017 total solar eclipse at the following links:
August 3, 2017
Get Ready For Your Closeup
Hello August! The summer is flying by and we’re having a blast with all of our camping families. Everyone is busy laughing, playing, and making amazing memories that will last forever and, with all of the pictures that our guests are always taking, they definitely WILL last forever! Documenting your camping vacations is a wonderful way to remember all of the amazing activities, events, and adventures that you take part in each camping season. You can look back and see how your family has changed and how much your kids have grown.
You already have a beautiful backdrop at our resort - so we’re coming in with some simple tips to help you take the perfect family pictures on your next camping adventure at our resort.
Tip #1: LIGHTING. It’s all about utilizing natural light, so try to take your pictures outside! Wait for the beautiful sunset or, if you’re taking a picture midday, make sure you’re not in the shadow of a tree or building.
Tip #2: CLOTHING. No need to go all matchy-matchy for your pictures. Your best bet is to select colors or patterns that compliment each other. In fact, think of what will look best in your living room - you may want to transform the best picture into a canvas to decorate your home!
Tip #3: KEEP IT NATURAL. Like the lighting tip, keep the atmosphere of the shoot natural. Posing everyone for the “perfect” picture can be exhausting and virtually impossible. Let the kids play around and have fun. The grins in these pictures are more natural than any “cheese” smile you’ll have to force them to give.
We’ll leave you with one final tip - create a photo book each camping season! They are so simple to make (a few clicks of the mouse & it’s done!) and are such a great way to keep all of your awesome pictures organized and easy to share with everyone!
We would love to see the pictures that you take out our resort. Remember to share them with us on our Facebook page!
August 2, 2017
Are We There Yet
Whether you’re traveling by train, plane, or automobile, the travel to get to your vacation spot can seem endless! “Are we there yet? How much longer? I’m hungry! I’m bored!” are just a handful of the comments you’ll hear from the backseat on your journey. While you’re on your way to your stay at our resort, you have to find creative, time-consuming ways to pass the time and keep everyone engaged. We’re popping in today to give you some of our best tips on keeping the kids, adults, and pets occupied on the way to your next camping adventure at our resort!
Electronic gadgets may seem obvious but they really are a great distraction while you’re in the car or plane. Remember to grab your laptop, smartphone, handheld gaming device, or tablet AND their chargers! If you have wifi, the kids can watch videos, tv shows, and movies. Otherwise, download some games - even some educational ones - so they have plenty to choose from.
Other great options for your car or plane ride includes books, games, coloring books, and crayons. Coloring provides fun for all ages (literally - they now make adult coloring books, too!) and a book can take you on a mini adventure, all while you’re just sitting in your seat!
I Spy & I’m Going on a Picnic are awesome interactive games that everyone can participate in. Explore your surroundings, work on your memorization skills, and we’re sure you’ll get in some serious laughs, too.
Food, drinks, and snacks are a definite must if you’re traveling with kids, adults, or pets - especially on a longer ride. You can keep water, fruit, and healthy sandwiches and snacks cold in a cooler so they’re easily accessible on your journey. Is it just us or are snacks a great distraction for kids of all ages?
But the best part of your journey to your next camping adventure at our resort? Your upcoming camping adventure at our resort! Get ready for fun in the sun, activities with your family and friends, and memories galore - that makes the car, RV, or plane ride worth it!
July 20, 2017
Staying Cool In The Summertime
We LOVE the summer! School’s out, no homework, no crazy schedules, it’s camping season, and the weather is, well, amazing! (Minus the ‘occasional’ rain shower) While you’re at our resort, there are plenty of activities to keep you cool - including the pool! The kids could stay in there all day, couldn’t they? And for good reason! Marco Polo, splash dance, water volleyball, or just splashing around with friends under the hot summer sun can be the BEST.DAY.EVER!
So, other than turning on the trusty air conditioning, how can you stay cool this season?
- STAY HYDRATED. When you get overheated, your body can dehydrate rather quickly. And dehydration can lead to some major health issues. Caffeinated and alcoholic beverages can dehydrate you so drink them in moderation! The best way to hydrate - DRINK WATER, and a lot of it - which will rehydrate the body & also cool you down!
- EAT & DRINK COLD THINGS. A bowl of hot soup, a cup of tea, or a steaming dinner plate are definitely not summer-friendly food items! Keep your food and drink choices COOL! Popsicles, cold soups, smoothies, salads, and frozen fruits are just a few of the foods that can keep your belly full and your body cool! This is the perfect season for ice cream...with all the fixings!
- FIND THE SHADE. There are plenty of reasons to be out and about around the resort. But, when the sun is strong, you must also spend some time in the shade. Although the temperature may not be that different, it could feel 10 - 15 degrees COOLER in the shade. Plus, too much sun isn’t good for your skin. (Remember your sunscreen - EVERY day - even when it looks cloudy!)
We have so many exciting things happening around the resort this season. Bring your friends, your family, and your pets - exciting memories are just around the corner!
June 30, 2017
Pin-Worthy Extravagant Extras
We are in the home stretch of our “Pin-worthy Camping Tips” Series and we hope you've been enjoying! Let us know if you tried any of the delicious camping recipes, family-friendly camping games, or if you’ve picked up any of our must-have camping items. Today, we’re coming in with even more tips to get you geared up and ready for your next camping vacation with us. We are bringing you Extravagant Extras! You don’t NEED them on your next camping trip - but we think you’ll really WANT some of them! You can pin your favorite tips to your own Pinterest Boards so they’re always just a click away!
Here are our Pin-Worthy Camping Tips - Part 4: Extravagant Extras!
1. We’re going to start our tips with 29 snuggly things to keep you comfy in the great outdoors! Waterproof socks, a wearable sleeping bag, and an inflatable chair are just the beginning of this awesome list. Click to stay cozy, everyone!
2. Cool gadgets are where it’s at! This list includes 13 items you never knew you always needed on your camping vacations. They make a great gift for the camping lover in your life, or something you can gift yourself just because!
3. An electric mosquito repellent device, glow in the dark rope, and flashlight shoes are among the cool camping gadgets and unique camping products in this Pin-worthy post.
4. Clever & convenient is the theme of this Pin-worthy list! One of our favorites from this bunch has to be the inflatable solar light that is lightweight, rechargeable, waterproof, and eco-friendly. So cool!
5. A kayak that can fold up to the size of a briefcase? A glowing, inflatable bubble tent? While these extravagant extras may not be practical, they sure do look awesome!
Remember to save these Pin-worthy extravagant extras and share them with your family & friends. Then, leave us a comment and let us know which items you plan to bring on your next camping adventure at our resort!
June 22, 2017
We hope you enjoyed Parts 1 & 2 of our “Pin-worthy Camping Tips” Series! Let us know if you tried any of the delicious camping recipes or exciting, family-friendly camping games. Today, we’re coming in with even more tips to get you geared up and ready for your next camping vacation with us. We have found some must-have camping items that we just had to share. You can pin your favorite tips to your own Pinterest Boards so they’re always just a click away! Here are our Pin-Worthy Camping Tips - Part 3: Must-Haves!
- THOUSANDS of RV owners around the country submitted their must-have RV camping accessories and so this amazing catalog was born. This expansive list covers it ALL! Seasoned RV campers are knowledgeable - they know what works and what doesn’t. Click to read their tips: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332070172501137269/
- This is a list of must-have items to keep in your car at all times...so why are we sharing it? Because your next camping trip in an RV, cabin, cottage, or tent will also benefit from having these must-haves on hand. Convenience is key - you’ll be so happy you read this list and have these items readily accessible! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/422281195871223/
- The items on this Pin-worthy list may seem obvious and simple but they are definitely must-haves for your next camping adventure. Sunscreen, kitchen utensils, and bug spray are just a few of the items on this list. Click to see even more of these helpful must-haves: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/705798572823209397/
- Camping with your children? Many of our guests are! Kids love being in the great outdoors - fresh air is good for the entire family - but don’t forget the essentials! Flashlights, bottled water, and board games are just the beginning of this must-haves list. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AVyRlSzuW0-vhQCocipSTB0hpTwkzsSJXEGjZFHmcA8tanELy4AaeRE/
- Yes, yes, and yes! Here are 25 must-have camping essentials that are sure to make your camping trip the best it can be. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/20195898307363110/
Remember to save these Pin-worthy must-have camping items and share them with your family & friends. Then, leave us a comment and let us know which items you plan to bring on your next camping adventure at our resort!
June 15, 2017
Pin-Worthy Camping Games
We hope you enjoyed Part 1 of our “Pin-worthy Camping Tips” Series! Let us know if you tried any of the delicious camping recipes. Today, we’re coming in with even more tips to get you geared up and ready for your next camping vacation with us. Camping games are a great way to get to know each other better, get in a good laugh, and create fun memories together. You can pin your favorite tips to your own Pinterest Boards so they’re always just a click away! Here are our Pin-Worthy Camping Tips - Part 2: Camping Games!
- This one will be fun for everyone! Explore and enjoy the great outdoors with this nature scavenger hunt. Keep your eyes open, and work in pairs, to find all of the items on this list! The pair that checks off every box first - WINS! You’ll be amazed at everything you can find outside. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307300374556500114/
- These camping games don’t require any light or preparation. You can do them anywhere - plop down in your cabin’s living area or set up some chairs outside your tent or RV - and bring the kids.
- Nature tic-tac-toe, camping bingo, and capture the flag...just to name a few! There are over 100 camping ideas in this pin-worthy post (we’re not kidding!) so there are plenty of games to choose from. The possibilities of inexpensive fun are endless! These are kid-approved but appropriate for the entire family.
- Summer weather gets toasty! While there is always the pool, there are other ways to beat the heat. Check out these 15 outdoor water games that the kids will really enjoy - most of these games include water balloons!
- Who doesn’t like a little friendly competition? These insanely fun outdoor games will keep you and your kids busy all summer long. Let the games begin!
Remember to save these Pin-worthy camping games and share them with your family & friends. Then, leave us a comment and let us know which games you’ll be playing on your next camping adventure at our resort!
June 9, 2017
2017 is literally flying by! Lucky for us, summer officially starts this month and we’re already knee deep in CAMPING SEASON! We want to make sure you’re armed and ready for your next trip to our resort - and so we begin our “Pin-worthy Camping Tips” Series! We will be focusing on Recipes, Camping Games, Must Haves, and Extravagant Extras. You can pin your favorite tips to your own Pinterest Boards so they’re always just a click away! Here are our Pin-Worthy Camping Tips - Part 1: Recipes!
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And, when you’re camping, you want it to be fast, simple to make, and easy to clean up! Enter these 15 delicious camping breakfast recipes that will make you want to eat ‘the most important meal of the day’ for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner!
- Grilled cheese is a staple in most households - kids love it, adults love it, everyone’s happy! It’s an easy camping lunch option and, with these 20 delicious grown-up grilled cheese ideas, you’ll never get bored!
- Like to spend cleaning pots and pans? We don’t either! With these one pot recipes, you’ll have a delicious meal for the entire family with only ONE pot to clean - sounds like doing dishes won’t be so bad after all!
- Dare we ask….what’s better than having only one pot to clean? That’s right, having NO pots to clean! Most of these foil-wrapped recipes can be cooked over a campfire, on a grill, or in the oven - with very (very!) little cleanup.
- A little something sweet is the perfect way to end any meal! Throw this easy, delicious s’more cone recipe on the grill next time - everyone can pick their “toppings” and make their own sweet treat!
Remember to save these Pin-worthy recipes and share them with your camping family & friends. Then, leave us a comment and let us know which recipe you’ll be trying on your next camping adventure at our resort! Happy Cooking!
May 30, 2017
Revving Up the “Home on Wheels”
With recent passenger scuffles and power struggles, air travel has lost its luster. But sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination. If travel is your least favorite part of a family trip, why not consider an RV – otherwise known as a “home on wheels”?
Going camping in an RV allows you to slow down, kick back, and savor family time “in flux” from one stop to another. There’s no need to worry about unpacking your luggage, missing your connection or placing your pet in a kennel – your entire family travels with you. And just as homes and hotels run a gamut of shapes, sizes and styles, so do RVs vary, from the palatial to the petite to the pop-up trailer.
But no matter the level of amenities and creature comforts, RVs can boost the power of your vacation budget. Most RVs excel at weight and wind resistance—translating into fuel economy between eight and 20 MPG, depending on the RV you select. Here are tips to maximizing your RV muscle:
- Rent before you buy. It’s the only way to explore and define your comfort level. Find an RV dealer who rents out the type of rig you're interested in; and try your home on wheels for a weekend. Try finding a realtor who will let you do that with a house!
- Bigger isn’t always better. The bigger the rig, the more complex the maintenance, and the larger your insurance bill. Shop around for the best rate and service before you buy.
- When you’re crunching numbers, remember: camping fees may vary according to your RV’s size and style. Also, when you’re not traveling, you may need to store your rig at a facility for a fee.
- Make sure you have the right equipment. That includes everything from a trailer hitch (for safe towing) to the GPS and Wi-Fi Booster to keep you connected.
- If your family enjoys home-cooked meals, make sure your RV has kitchen options. If you prefer to dine out, look for two-for-one coupons and early-bird specials while rolling by restaurants. And if you fall somewhere in between, consider eating out at lunch and eating dinner in. To trim even more from your food budget, think beyond the big box supermarkets: buy food and sundries at discount stores, dollar stores, church bazaars, flea markets, roadside veggie stands, thrift bakeries, and u-pick orchards.
May 29, 2017
From pitching tents to gathering twigs, you need energy while camping. You can boost that energy by setting goals to eat more fruits and vegetables—ideally, the five to nine servings that nutritionists suggest. Some experts call it “eating low on the food chain”; and it packs a rich supply of benefits for energy, wellness and health.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Supports weight loss by keeping appetites in check
- Reduces risk of heart disease, stroke, digestive problems and some cancers
- Fights fatigue by releasing energy slowly, instead of that sugar rush
- Sharpens eyesight—it’s true! Especially vitamin-rich veggies like spinach, kale, sweet potatoes and (yes) carrots.
Take advantage of farmer’s markets, supermarkets, and salad bars as you navigate campgrounds and country this summer. When it comes to packing produce for the great outdoors, here are a few tips:
- Fruits with staying power to last a few days without denting, browning or molding include apples, cherries and blueberries. Plus, they're not a mess to peel or clean up--just wash and serve. Bananas last a couple of days, but require a bit more TLC. If you have time, store a fruit salad of melons, pineapple, peaches and strawberries in a plastic container. The flavors will mingle to keep each other fresh.
- Dry fruit is a champion: portable, compact and low-maintenance, supplying a quick dose of energy to boot. Mix raisins or Craisins with nuts, yogurt, oatmeal or dry cereal; or enjoy right from the bag.
- Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes spell veggie victory. Add cucumber slices to dip into salad dressings; dip celery sticks in humus. Onions travel well to be chopped into one pot or pan dinners. And potatoes keep well for days, ready to support everything from breakfast hash browns to dinner casserole.
- Canned veggies travel well and don't need cooler space. Green beans, corn, peas, black beans and mixed vegetables play well with noodle, pasta and potato-centered one-pot meals.